Monday, August 9, 2010

Excuse me?

It's the dead heat of summer. This Mama Bear is hot, tired, out of fun ideas, and, did I mention hot? So, at 4:00 p.m. this afternoon, I decided to load the cubs up and take them to the grocery store. "It's an adventure!" "There'll be cookies!" (yes, I AM that Mama Bear!)

Since I use coupons and bargain shop (not to mention I'm trying to drive the behemoth kiddie grocery cart) it takes a while to get through all the aisles. The cubs are relatively well behaved during the shopping experience. Then it came time for checkout. As it is impossible for me to be in two places at one time, checkout becomes a little more tricky. I'm trying to pay, answer the checker's coupon questions, and keep an eye on the cubs. Not an easy task.

Apparently, the natives got a little more restless than the bagger would prefer. I thought - given the circumstances - they'd done pretty well.

So, the bagger helps me to the car and starts unloading the groceries. I get the cubs buckled in and then go to the back of the van to help her unload the rest of the groceries.

And then she said, "You need to teach them how to behave."

OH. YES. SHE. DID.

Cyberbears, it took EVERY FIBER OF MY FURRY BODY to keep myself from becoming tomorrow's headlines.

What I wanted to say? "Hey lady, I don't tell you how to bag my groceries, how 'bout you do the same with me?"

What I actually said? "Thank you very much. I think I have it from here."

I'm outta grace for the day. She literally did me in. Not a drop left. It's 5:56, Papa Bear gets home at 6:00 p.m. and I'm hiding from the cubs until then.

When does school start?

4 comments:

  1. WHAT???? That is INSANE. I hope you've poured yourself a big glass of vino-- you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Gawsh. I would have stammered and slammed the old back gate of my van (it might have taken me two slams because it the ancient kind) and drove away. Then I would have written a slammin' email to the store's manager. And threatened to never shop there again. Because that's what I do! I write knee-jerk emails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I don't know what else to say. You were beyond gracious and kind and generous and all that I strive to be, right in that moment. You may have spent the last bit of grace you had for the day, but you spent it well. Amazing. I'm not sure I would be able to write what happened if it had been me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my own bagger experience, so I laughed like crazy at this one.

    My pithy, way-too-late comeback (which I used once for a female sherrif at the DMV): "You don't have kids of your own, do you?" That creates a stammer until you hear the word "No." Then you can reply, as you walk away: "That.is.obvious. Have a great day!"

    ReplyDelete