Thursday, August 19, 2010

Survival Techniques

We got a last minute call tonight that Papa Bear would be working late. I decided that I didn't want to "cook" a full dinner for the cubs. So I pulled a rabbit out of the hat:

The Babysitter Dinner.

Oh, don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about! You have a grand date night planned, and the last thing you want to do is stand over the stove all dressed up for the evening. So instead, you whip up something really easy and call it "dinner". And you always have it on hand - just in case.

Mine is: hot dogs, pasta, and grapes (or insert other seasonal fruit we have on hand at the time). No judging Cyber Bears. I used to put together a really healthy impressive meal for the babysitter but then I had an epiphany: She doesn't care. Rather freeing, I must say. And since we have a babysitter about every - oh - 6 months or so, my cubs aren't too nutritionally deprived. Because every other night, I feed them all organic, free range, nutritionist approved, gourmet meals.

Ahem.

So, what's your go-to Babysitter Dinner?

Don't tell me you don't have one.

I know better.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever isn't molding in the refrigerator or hasn't developed winged-bugs on the pantry shelf. I figure "If this is the only time to reconnect with the hubster, I'm not wasting any brain cells on figuring out what to cook because I'll be expending enough of them with the bottle of wine I'll be consuming at dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually, I order pizza. But if I'm feeling like I just can't throw pizza in front of my kids one more time that week, I will make spaghetti and leave it in the crockpot simmering all day long and tell the sitter to serve it when the kids are ready...

    ReplyDelete