Monday, May 18, 2009

The "X" Factor

I consider myself a fairly liberated bear.  I might even categorize myself as a feminist bear.  While I live a rather old-fashioned model of life, I've never really given much weight to gender and role, or how your chromosomal make up affects your behavior.

Until the X joined our family.  And then, things changed.

It seems that Sugar Bear's second "X" chromosome has already blessed our lives after only 8 short months.  

How, you ask?  I'll tell you.  

No, wait.  Call me on the phone at any hour of the day, and SHE'LL tell you.  

That's right.  The bear cub has discovered her voice.  And I'm not talking about some sweet bear cub babble voice.  I'm talking about ear-splitting, dogs running for corners, fingernails-on-a-chalkboard-screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs kinda voice.

When she sees Papa Bear or me, she lets out a panting, squealish sort of scream.  Brother Bear elicits a happy monkey scream.  Take a "no-no" item from her drooly little paws?  Get a Wailing Wall type scream.  Can't get dinner on the table fast enough?  Barking squirrel scream.

And, God forbid, you show that baby lovin' cub another baby cub -or better yet- a mirror image of herself.  Watch out!  Windows shatter, ears bleed, and the dead roll over in their graves.  

My ears can't take much more.  And she's only 8 months old.  

Who knew that my sweet, precious Sugar Bear would try and change my feminist bear view of things?  The next thing you know, I'll be hitting every Wal-Mart in town looking for the newest, must have....gulp....Barbie.

God help me.





 

4 comments:

  1. Okay, we have the same thing going on over here! Funny, isn't it? Boyish boys to the bone and girly girls to the bone. I will help you with the Barbie thing, sister. I had them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! the only Barbie I ever liked was Skipper. What does that say about me??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite my best efforts to shield Avery from the world of Barbie, here we are, in full Barbie mode! Avery's homework last week was to list 3 wishes she'd like to have come true... 1) I wish I could be Barbie, 2) I wish I could be a Barbie Princess, and 3) I wish I could have all the Barbie books from the Book Fair. Uh huh! It will be here before you know it, Paula! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAACK!!!! 5Aces, that's my worst nightmare come true!!!

    ReplyDelete