Friday, July 3, 2009

To The Land of the Bears, and why we go..

Weeeee're OFF!

That's right, Cyber Bears. The Four Bears Family is off to the Wilderness! As of 10:30 a.m. CST (assuming no delays!), we will be on our way for 17 glorious days galavanting around The REAL Land of the Bears. While we will not have access to cell phone service (boo {cough} hoo {cough} hoo {cough}!), we will have access to the internet. So, don't fret. I intend to occasionally updated you on the happenings of the Four Bears Family whilst in their natural bear habitat.

But while we are traveling and settling in, I thought I would fill you in a bit as to why I make it a point to travel half way across the country to the mountains, and then spend 3 whole weeks there. And, no, the answer does not begin with "because I'm crazy".

My earliest bear cub memories start with fun in the woods with my neighborhood pals ("The Three Musketeers" we were called). The woodsy area behind our houses was our playground and we could often be found catching tadpoles and lightning bugs and creating our own universe with fallen branches and brush.

We then moved to (what used to be) "the country" on a tar road with only a few houses. We were introduced to even more outdoors there. We road horses, played in hay barns, drove 3 wheelers, and (believe it or not) antagonized Brahman calves (and, subsequently, their mamas). While we had all the conveniences of modern life, the outdoors was our oyster and we ate it up. I knew which wildflower was okay to pick, and which one wasn't. By summer's end, my face was extra freckled from the sun, my feet were full of stickle-burs and splinters from running barefoot, and my legs and arms polka-dotted with calamine lotion in an attempt to cure a host of chigger and mosquito bites.

Now I'm a "grown up" Mama Bear, who lives in the city. The concrete jungle. And while I love the life we have created here, the one regret I have is that my bear cubs won't roam about like I did as a bear cub. So, just one of the reasons why we make this trip is to introduce our bear cubs to the woods - their natural habitat (even if they don't know it). Brother Bear has already learned basic rafting skills (stay in the boat, please), how to slide down a waterfall, the fine art of blackberry picking and trout fishing, and - alas - the joy of a roasting (and eating) marshmallows over a fire. Not to mention trying to spot bears (and 'coons, and deer, etc) at night with the spotlight! I cannot make my bear cubs love the outdoors, but I can certainly teach them to know the outdoors with these trips.

Another reason why I make this trip is to slow us down. I am the worst in the family for biting off more than I can chew, and this trip is a great way to slow down our manic family pace and remind my bear cubs (and myself) about rest. It is so wonderful to escape - even for a little while - the hustle and bustle. And where we go, let me tell you, there is no hustle and bustle! Who can't resist a place where there are 6 porch swings, weekend "pick & grins" on the courthouse square, and the biggest worry is ticks? This place practically begs you to rest. You walk inside, times stands still, and your worries just melt into oblivion.

If I haven't already given you enough reasons, let me give you another: My Daddy Bear. This is truly his stompin' grounds. His Daddy & Mama Bear brought him here when he was just a bear cub. He made memories with his family as well as with his Bear Cub Scouts that we've heard retold for ages. And now, I have the opportunity to let him share those memories with my bear cubs. The gleam in his eye as he goes floating down the river with Brother Bear or lets him pull in that 3 pound trout "all by himself", or passes along sacred fire building tips are worth more than gold to me. These are the moments that I treasure now, and my bear cubs will cherish even more later.

And finally, we make this trip because we have the amazing opportunity - which I do not overlook. My Daddy and Mother Bear worked hard for this place, and they share it more generously than we deserve. They give this Mama Bear a much needed break from the daily grind of bear cub raising by entertaining the grand-bear cubs as well as myself. My Mother Bear kills the proverbial fatted calf so that we don't have to worry about meal planning. Word is, she'll have the place stocked with home made blackberry jelly and peach preserves when we arrive. They even drove our family pet ahead with them so that we didn't have to board him while we are gone. Am I one lucky Mama Bear, or what?

So, come sundown tonight I will be in my natural habitat. I might be enjoying a good read on a swing, or re-hearing a great old story from My Daddy Bear, or maybe (if I'm lucky) winning a game of chicken foot. But you can rest assured - whatever I'm doing - I'll sure as heck be enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment