Friday, August 14, 2009

Order, please.


Order is good. Order is calm. Order is, well, orderly. I like order.

That doesn't mean that with 2 bear cubs, their activities, my activities, etc. we have any order in our life. In fact, we are pretty much devoid of order around here these days. And with a new school routine starting soon, I feel like it's only going to get more disorderly.

Have I mentioned that I like order? Scratch that. I love order. Luv it. I HEART ORDER.

So I started making plans recently to restore some order to our lives.

Our new school starts at 8:00 a.m. The first bell rings at 7:50 a.m. Cyber Bears, Our Den has never made it anywhere before 8:00 a.m. unless under extreme duress. And now, Brother Bear has to have his furry little bottom in his chair no later than 8:00 a.m. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Gulp.

Enter phase 1 of my "plan": a chart. That's right, a chart. The only thing I love better than order is a good old fashioned chart. They're clear, they're concise, and (you guessed it) they're orderly. Right up my alley.

It's a simple pre-reader/reader chart that walks Brother Bear exactly through what he should do each morning. Follow the chart, and he'll be ready to go in no time! Take a look:

Ahh. Don't you just feel the order oozing out of that chart? Can't you just see how orderly our mornings will be? I get an endorphin rush every time I look at it.

So, while I'm on an orderly "high", I move on....

Brother Bear's school, while public, has a uniform policy in place. On one hand, I love the idea of the uniform. My school shopping was done in minutes with a few quick clicks of the mouse (you didn't really think I would actually venture away from the computer, now would you?). On the other hand, the potential uniform combinations were stressing me out. And, if they are stressing me out, what do you think they are going to do to a sleepy bear cub? I mean, seriously, The options are: white, red, or navy shirts with khaki or navy pants. And I'll just put it straight: I REFUSE TO HAVE AN ARGUMENT AT SEVEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING AS TO WHY IT IS NOT OKAY TO WEAR A NAVY SHIRT WITH NAVY PANTS. That's right. I'm not afraid to admit it. I claim, nay, embrace my neuroses.

Thus, phase 2 of my orderly plan: the chart - on steroids. I created a chart for Brother Bear's nightly routine (whence, in an orderly fashion, he lays out all of his clothing for the next day). The chart details exactly what options he can select to wear. No fuss, no arguing. Just clean, plain, order. Here's a look at the second chart:
Ahem.

I can hear you laughing at me, Cyber Bears. Go ahead. Laugh all you want.

Why?

Because I've already created my own little chart that says you can.





6 comments:

  1. I think the charts are awesome!! I am curious, however, about what exactly the little dotted line coming out of (going into?) the tighty-whities is? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to hear more about this in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. em - that's a great question on the tighty-whities.. I don't know the real answer, but i have some thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's laughing? I think it's genious and I'm wondering why I never thought of it! :-) BTW, tighty-whitey line = flap...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you need a 12-step program. I will make you a chart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like seeing that Brother Bear gets bacon, eggs and toast every morning.

    ReplyDelete