Monday, August 31, 2009

A Love Poem

(with sincere apologies in advance to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

Sleep: How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways:
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
my sleepy body can reach, when I'm so tired
and only long for the giddy feeling of rest you offer.
I love thee to the level that is almost
illegal - day and night.
I love thee openly, I lust for thee;
I love thee wholly, I plan my day around seeing you again;
I love thee with a strength that I used
to use for better things ages ago.
I love the with a love it seems was lost
when I had bear cubs.
It is impossible to have too much of you.
I love thee with every fiber and hair on my furry body.
And, God willing, if these bear cubs should ever leave the den
I shall but love thee even more after that.




1 comment: