Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Heavenly Happy Hour

I love my church.

I really do.

One of the things I love about it is that during the Sunday 11:00 worship hour, I conduct a "Story Time" with the 3 and 4 year olds bear cubs while their parents attend the service. Basically, I take some time to reinforce the lesson they learned in Sunday School, and then read a book. Simple, fun and educational. My favorite combination.

Some may think I'm crazy for doing this (and enjoying it). But I love these bear cubs. The age is fabulous, and they always say the darndest things. For instance:

This Sunday, the bear cubs learned about the Lord's Supper. The basics that they learned were that Jesus asked Peter and John to go and put together a meal. Peter and John followed Jesus' request, and after the meal, Jesus said that this meal was to serve as a reminder of him.

As I always do, I asked the bear cubs what they talked about in Sunday School. After peppering them with a few other questions (so that we could drill down a little past the always present "Jesus" answer), I asked the cubs what Jesus and his friends ate at the supper. They all chimed in with a rousing "BREAD!!!".

What good little listeners they are.

I then posed the question, "What did Jesus and his friends drink at the dinner?"

One sweet little bear cub quickly piped with the best answer ever:

"Beer!"

Oh. My. Gosh.

Normally, I can hold it together no matter what gets thrown my way. But for some reason, I got a serious case of the giggles (it had nothing to do with the other giggling deacons, I assure you.)

I had barely recovered before several of the other cubs piped in about how their Mama and Papa Bears love beer too.

I love my church.

I really, really do.

(oh - and for those of you Local Bears with bear cubs in Story Time - if you think I'm telling you which bear cub said what...forget it. What happens in Story Time, STAYS in Story Time.)

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Your blog always makes me laugh, but today it was outloud! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love those Baptists. :)

    RAK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lurve our church, too. And you for reading to those children! I wont ask who said what.

    ReplyDelete