Monday, November 21, 2011

Overflowing

I've mentioned this before, but Papa Bear and I are a house divided when it comes to looking at a glass (proverbially speaking, of course). He, ever the realist, sees a glass half empty. I, on the other hand, see the glass as half full. One of the many reasons we go together like peas and carrots. ( Assuming you like peas and carrots together. Which I don't. Because, eww. They are the grossest veggies known to mankind {other than brussel sprouts and cauliflower - gag!} why would you ever put them together?)

I digress.

So. We are twelve days aways from the 2011 MetroPCS White Rock Marathon. TWELVE days! There isn't anymore training left. Just waiting. My favorite thing!

We've had some bumps in our training plan this year. Papa Bear's bump was the worst with the unexpected removal of his appendix. He's bounced back rather quickly, but he's worried his goals for a 4th Boston are out of reach now. Cup half full.

I've started the season with a strained hamstring and ended it with a strained quadriceps. Both minor annoyances. I currently have a chest cold (or tuberculosis...jury's still out) that I'm hoping to kick sooner versus later. Other than that, my training season was spectacular. And any seasoned marathoner knows, that's not a good thing. We runners are a superstitious lot. And for me, that means I need to have one horrific training run before the race. Or else, the race may be the horrific part. But, who knows, right?

So, we are a mere twelve days away from a spectacular day of family running and celebration, and we aren't feeling 100%. We also aren't at 100% of our fundraising goal. We are $1275 short of our $5000 goal. We need to raise (over) $100 per day for the next twelve days to meet our goal.

Now, a Mama Bear could look at this and get discouraged. She could whine and pout, and talk a lot about how half full that glass is.

But not this Mama Bear.

This Mama Bear's cup is not only half full, Cyberbears, it's overflowing.
  • Overflowing with gratitude for a team of doctors, nurses, orthotists, and physical therapists that treat my cub with dignity, respect, love and passion.
  • Overflowing with gratitude for friends and family that have supported us emotionally through our journey.
  • Overflowing with praise for the gift of being able to run ONE mile. Much less twenty six point two. A point that is never, ever far from my mind.
  • Overflowing with humility at the number of friends, coworkers (Papa Bear's), and family that have sacrificed from their pocketbook to help us raise money. We know that each dollar you donated, whether one or one thousand, was a dollar you could have spent on yourself or your family. We are honored.
So, no, you won't hear me complaining, or talking about a glass half full. No way, no how.

No matter what, my cup overflows...

***Interested in making a donation to "Team Four Bears"? There's still time!! Just click here!***

2 comments:

  1. I giggled out loud at your veggie tangent because I recently considered making a "brussels sprout and cauliflower gratin." No lie. The 2+ cups of heavy whipping cream kinda scared me off, though.

    Best wishes to all the Bears over the next 12 days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, emk. The 2 cups of whipping cream would have been the ONLY (redeeming) thing about that recipe. I'm feeling a sympathetic gag coming on just thinking about it! Blech!!

    Thanks so much for your support Cousin Bear!

    ReplyDelete