Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Lookin' Good"....And other runner's lies

I am running my 12th marathon tomorrow. I actually have the honor of pacing a new friend to meet his own personal best. This guy survived a heart attack in 2003. He has conquered much - now he's going to conquer this beast.

I love running marathons. What I love more is seeing people feel the accomplishment that running 26.2 miles gives you. It gives you a faith in yourself that (I think) nothing else can.

This quote was in this month's Runner's World magazine. I thought it was really funny. Hope you enjoy.

"Lying is NOT something we normally endorse. But it's perfectly acceptable to tell a runner that he (she) is looking good at mile 19 of a marathon when, in fact, he (she) looks like an insomniac who's trying to sneeze, and is confused because someone has switched his (her) running shoes with replicas made of concrete. The go-to lie is 'Lookin' good!' Or you could say, 'If I weren't so awed by the apparent ease with which you're navigating this course, I might be angry with you for nearly knocking me unconscious with your very awesomeness!' The key is to SAY SOMETHING. Even a zombie appreciates encouragement."

So, if you are out there tomorrow, please make sure you SAY SOMETHING to the runners. Every single one.

We need it.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister! That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO SAD that I am going to miss you. But you know I am sending up prayers! JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote! I'm so proud of you and all those other marathoners out there!! Not to mention in awe. I was at Mile 6 with my hubby and 3 kids about 8:45 am. It was SO FUN to see all those people...who really were looking good at that point. :)

    RAK

    ReplyDelete