Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hit me with your best shot!

Remember this post? Yeah....me too. A mere 6 months ago, someone broke into my car and stole my purse while I was at the gym working out.

Today, while I was working out at the gym, someone broke into my padlocked locker and stole my purse.

First things first: Yes, I checked the lock and it WAS LOCKED. I'm kinda anal about it since someone stole my purse six months ago.

The first time I felt violated but embarrassed because I had forgotten my purse in the car. This time? Violated and frightened. Because my purse not only had my identification, but the keys to my car and MY HOUSE.

Does anyone else see the humor in this happening less than 24 hours after announcing my personal challenge to tackle my fears?

So, I decided not to let fear be my guide (Cautious and smart, yes. Fearful, no.) I had a policeman check my house before I returned.

Then.

Then I let ANGER be my guide. I pulled up my big girl panties and decided to face this HEAD ON like a FREIGHT TRAIN.

Hey thief! If you are reading this. YES, YOU. GAME ON. GAME FREAKING ON!

I called the credit card companies and got all the information I need to give to the detective in hopes of securing video surveillance of the thieves in action. I then thought I would throw a shot in the dark and see if the "find my phone" app on my phone would possibly help.

And guess what?

That nifty little app worked. Guess where the blinking beacon said my phone was located?

AT THE STINKING GYM.

I marched (emphasis on march) myself back up to the gym with my computer. I showed them the map, explained that it was clear my phone was still in the vicinity, and then told them I wasn't leaving until we found it.

I then asked (okay, told) them to continuously press the "ping phone" button until I found it. And they did.

For two hours straight.

I checked the entire parking lot. The drainage gullies. I put on gloves and checked every dumpster in the parking lot and EVERY. SINGLE. TRASH CAN in the gym.

Before we go any further, I think it's important that I give you these 2 important pieces of information:

1. people at the gym use way, way, WAY too many paper towels. I believe this gym alone deforested a small country in South America. And they were ALL nasty.

2. I shall never eat at a local neighborhood hot spot again. Blech.

I even went in the nearby drugstore to check. The conversation with the employee went something like this:

MB: Hi. My purse was stolen and my phone locater says it is somewhere in this vicinity. Has anyone turned in a phone?

EMPLOYEE BEAR: Nope.

MB: Okay. Well, I'm pinging the phone right now. Have you heared any beeping? Or anything like it?

EMPLOYEE BEAR: Nope. But to be honest with you, I hear beeping and other noises pretty much all the time.

MB: .....

(Note to self: have prescriptions transferred after replacing driver's license)

After all that, I returned to the gym, positive that the phone was STILL THERE. I just knew it. I took another stab at the trash cans. At which point, one of the gym janitors decided to help me out. He asked me if I checked the lockers. I told him I had checked the locker room trash cans. He asked if I had checked EVERY SINGLE locker. I told him I hadn't. Why would it still be in the LOCKERS? So, nearing defeat, I decided to try his idea. I returned to the locker room and began opening and shutting every. single. locker.

Guess what?

I found my purse.

And my keys.

And my phone - still beeping and displaying the message: THIS PHONE IS STOLEN PROPERTY. RETURN TO GYM IMMEDIATELY OR RISK PROSECUTION. (I meant it when I said "GAME ON.")
But not my wallet.

Seems the thieves were interested in only my easy cash and credit cards and nothing else. They busted my lock, snagged my wallet and threw the rest in another locker about ten lockers away.

So, I guess I can rest a little more safely tonight.

But that little thief?

Better sleep with one eye open.

Because, I AM NOT AFRAID.

********************************

Now, I have a question for you, CyberBears. The operations manager at the gym said she "wants to compensate me" for my troubles. That "I shouldn't have dealt with this twice." So, she is going to "talk to corporate" about this and "see what they can do."

I told her thank you, and that I would discuss it with her later. My chief concern at the moment was getting my purse. But I was also afraid that if I accepted any offer right there, I would be required to sign papers releasing them from liability...which I wasn't ready to do (and, am still not sure I'm ready to do).

So..CyberBears. What should I do? Dump the gym? (my beloved trainer works there. I'm not sure I can imagine going forward with my training without his support). Accept an offer of a few free months and be happy? Get a lawyer?

Seriously. I need proper advice. I don't want to bilk anyone. However, I do want the folks at this place to get a clue about the serious problem they have going on right under their noses. Leave your thoughts in the comments section. Feel free to keep 'em anonymous.

Unless of course, you are the thief. In that case, I'd like your name and address, please. Quid pro quo.

Oh. And my only iPhone complaint? That "lost phone ping" needs to be MUCH MUCH louder. MeMaw spent too much time today with her head hovered over trash cans trying to hear her new fangled phone. But I guess I can't complain since their app found my stuff.


2 comments:

  1. Paula. You are one brave and courageous lady! Watch out world. Your posts really do make me laugh out loud. Love your sense of humor. You get that thief!
    They didn't know who they were messing with. It is Mrs. Mama Bear Courageous. That is who! Way to go Apple w find my iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you asked: I would change gyms. Sounds seriously unsafe in the safety department. Even if they DO install cameras, how long will that take and how much of a deterrent will it be? This has happened twice....I'd think your trainer would understand if you ask him/her to meet you somewhere else, after hours, or get a referral to a trainer at a gym where you aren't constantly worried about your possessions.

    ReplyDelete