Monday, September 7, 2009

Shock and Awe

I originally began writing this post last week. At the time I was terribly angry, so much that I could feel my heart rate increase while typing. I decided that - even though this is my blog and I can say whatever I feel - perhaps I needed to hit "save" vs. "publish" and let my thoughts rest.

I gave it 2 more days and a few more edits, but still didn't publish. I still felt that I was writing the post out of anger, and my anger wasn't the message I wanted to convey.

So, 2 more days (and a really great sermon) later, here is the post. Edited, edited, humbled, and edited some more.

You still may not enjoy what I have to say. And I'm okay with that. But I still need to say it.

Here goes.

Last week, I received the following document in Brother Bear's "take home" paperwork (note: to protect the privacy of my bear cub and his school, all dates and other identifying information have been deleted. No other information in this document was changed):


That same morning, I just happened to stumble on the following newspaper article.

Huh?

It seems that some Mama and Papa Bears are extremely riled up that The President of the United States plans to address the nation's students. So much so, that our particular school district has deemed the speech "optional", will tape it and play it the next day, and show it only to those with signed parental consent.

Please, someone tell me what is wrong with this speech?

I've read the speech several times now, and can't seem to understand what is wrong with The President of the United States encouraging my bear cub that he has talent, and should stay in school and work hard. I just don't get it.

By the way, have any of those complaining realized that this president, this president, AND this president ALL addressed the nation's school children during their tenure?

Why am I so upset over this? First off, let me tell you it's NOT because I voted for the guy and I'm trying to protect him and his policies. It's not because I'm a left winged democrat bear and I want all bears to believe just like me. Believe me, if this happened eight years ago (and I had a bear cub and a blog back then) I would be saying the same thing (but if you don't believe me, hear it from someone who didn't vote for him here).

Nope. I'm upset because of the lack of respect we are showing for the elected leader of our nation. Like it or lump it, one of the the many roles of President of the United States is to be an example and leader to the students of this nation. And if he (like his predecessors) feels that it is important to speak to all of the students of this great nation, then by gosh, by golly, I think those bear cubs should all be sitting on their furry little bottoms listening attentively and giving respect to the Office of President of the United States and what he has to say.

No matter what we believe politically, we all must teach our bear cubs to respect authority. And, while I would love for my bear cubs to follow in my particular political persuasion, my job as their Mama Bear is simply to educate them on all political opinions/views and then allow them to develop their own opinions as they mature. Even if it ends up being different than mine.

If I told Brother Bear he wasn't allowed to watch the Presidential Address because we disagreed with the President's political views he would immediately form an opinion based solely on my thoughts and feelings. I want no part of that.

Instead, I choose to give my bear cub the opportunity to respect the Office of President of the United States - no matter who it is or how I cast my vote. I want open and honest dialogue and free thinking in my bear den.

So I explained to Brother Bear that The President of the United States wanted to talk to all of the students in America about education. You know what he said in reply? He told me, "Mama Bear, I have to see that. It is important to hear what he has to say because he's in charge of America!".

Republican or Democrat, Liberal or Conservative. He couldn't have put it any better.





4 comments:

  1. Don't you know that telling children things like, they need to be responsible for their actions and future; they shouldn't "spend every waking hour in front of the TV or with that Xbox"; that they should set high standards; that they should pay attention to teachers, listen to adults, and work hard; that every single one of them has something they are good at; that they should never give up; and that The President of The United States of America struggled in his youth and knows what some of them might be going through too, is all just a bunch of poisonous political propaganda??? No good could possibly come from it. Or perhaps its just that all of the parents who don't support President Obama have conveniently forgotten how they demanded that Americans who were opposed to the war simply trust President Bush and support his decision to prolong the war because he was our President at the time... we simply needed to respect him and his decisions as the leader of our country... Or maybe they're all worried that President Obama might actually have a positive effect on their child's life. Gasp! Horror of all horrors! By the way, my children's school was only showing the speech to 5th graders. It wasn't even an option for the other grades... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, beautiful job Paula!

    If the parents who freaked about their children getting a pep talk from the President put that much effort into learning what their kids were watching on tv, experiencing in video games, reading in magazines, and seeing in movies, THAT would make the United States a better place.

    :) Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ron Kirk--this is one of the times that I'm embarrassed to say I'm from Texas!
    ---an Auntie Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am upset the Wylie didn't even give parents the option. AND Arilington is BUSSING kids to the new stadium for a presentation featuring President and Mrs. Bush. The topic to the school kids? Education - Stay in school.

    ReplyDelete