Monday, January 31, 2011

Crunchy Cough Solution

I don't consider myself granola at all. I've tried to make choices that are good for myself and my den, but, I'm definitely not granola.

Our household recently acquired a nasty cough. It started with Papa Bear, moved shortly to Brother Bear and finally landed directly in the path of Sugar Bear (I'm still crossing my fingers). Unfortunately, Hurricane Cough hit Sugar Bear extra hard. She, unlike the other bears, got a fever along with the cough.

I spent most of Friday and Saturday night up with her, trying to tame her fever and cough. Yucko. Nothing is worse than a sick cub, right?

Saturday afternoon I was in the car and (as always) listening to NPR. The People's Pharmacy was on and they were talking about home remedies for coughing. They mentioned the dilemma of cough medicine for cubs (bad for cubs if you don't know). They had a recipe for a safe, home-made cough "syrup" for cubs.

I was intrigued. I recognize that this sounds very granola but after 2 restless nights, I figured it couldn't hurt, right??

So, I made the cough syrup for Sugar Bear, and it seemed to take the edge off of her cough. It wasn't miraculous or anything, but I definitely think she got some relief enough for both she (and I) to get some rest.

It's so very easy, I thought I would share it with you. You are welcome.

Thyme Cough Syrup
(because of the honey, this is NOT for cubs under the age of 2)

1 bunch thyme (or 1 TBS dried thyme)
2 cups boiling water
1 cup honey
lemon

Pour boiling water over thyme and steep until room temperature. Strain. Add honey and lemon and mix well. Take 1 TBS as needed for cough. Keeps in fridge for 2 weeks.

This recipe makes a lot. I think next time, I would half the recipe.


Hope you have a great, cough free Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, friend. Add some Brandy and now you're talking my cough syrup language. JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! When I told Papa Bear I made a homemade cough syrup, he asked if the main ingredient was whiskey! Great minds think alike it seems!

    ReplyDelete