Thursday, May 7, 2009

Last, Last Word


I just read this article in Newsweek by my favorite columnist, Anna Quindlen.  

Sigh.  

Great article.  Great point.  But I must admit, I'm a little sad.  After 9 years, I'm really going to miss my bi-weekly Anna fix.  I know, I know, she's not retiring completely.  She will continue to write novels.  But, it is her column - her Last Word - that I really treasure.

What is it that makes me like her so much?  Well, I think it's multiple things.  One, she is a fabulous writer.  She crafts words like an artisan makes bread.  She takes the thoughts running around in her head, measures them just right, kneads and pats them, lets them rise, until she's created a masterpiece.  

Two, I like her view on things.  She's a liberal, and isn't afraid to say what she thinks.  If only I could do it as eloquently as she.

Three, she's a mom.  She loves her kids.  She has been exasperated by them, and has learned from them.  And while she is a mom, she hasn't been willing to be defined by just that one thing.

I'm sure there are some that think I'm crazy.  It's just a column, after all.  True.  But I, for one, will really miss that column.  It will be interesting to see who her replacement is (I'm praying it isn't more George Will.  His columns make my head hurt)...

Congratulations on your last, Last Word Anna!  Job well done!

2 comments:

  1. Larry looked at me and said - It's a sad day for you. Anna Quindlen is leaving Newsweek. NOOOO!
    And speaking of females who write beautifully, I hope you email your words to her. She would love it. Seriously. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at http://VibrantNation.com, an online community for women age 50+. At VibrantNation.com we don't think making room for young talent means that women 50+ have to silence themselves or retire (which is just what the marketplace has been telling us for years). We're so interested in what vibrant women like Anna Quindlen have to offer that we've offered her a job ... read more at http://www.vibrantnation.com/stephen-reily-flash-forward/2009/05/14/anna-quindlen-too-old-for-newsweek-but-not-for-vibrant-nation/

    ReplyDelete