Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wanna Know Wednesday


This week at the Four Bears Den, we've answered the following "Question Box" questions:

  • Does pepper grow on a tree or a plant?  It's actually a flowering vine!  The "fruit" on this vine is dried which becomes the peppercorn which is then ground into the pepper we use on the table.  
  • What is the word for "toes" in Spanish and French?  Despite having a former French Major and a quasi-Spanish speaker (he says:  I can give a loan in Spanish), we admit to having to "use our resources" as a refresher.  Seems our language skills need some dusting off!!  The answer:  Spanish - dedos, French - orteils.
Don't you feel educated now?

So now it's time, yet again, for MY question!

WANNA KNOW WEDNESDAY!

I was recently talking with My Mother Bear about how frustrating it is that I run out of time/energy these days for consisting "giving"  (by giving - I'm not talking financial).  I've always found great joy in volunteering, or helping others in need, but these days, it has become a real challenge.  Either I just can't find the time (with all my Mama Bear responsibilities) or worse, I find myself drained of desire because of all the "giving" I do as Mama Bear.  As Mama Bear, I find it particularly frustrating, because I really want to teach my children how important giving is.  But, how can I teach it, if I'm not always living it?

So, my question is:

Are you challenged with this  as well?  If so, have you come up with any creative ways to weave giving into your life right now?  

Feel free to comment in the comments section.  I'm hoping this will spark some great ideas from my Internet Bears, as I sure need them.  A follow up post at the end of the week will give a synopsis of some of your great thoughts/solutions.  

Have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. We have struggled in this area as well, so I am very curious to see what others suggest... Here's something I came up with after Samuel's 2nd birthday when I asked our relatives for no gifts, but to donate to charity instead. And even though many of our relatives gave to charity, they still gave gifts to Samuel too. I started making the kids go through their toys, books, movies, etc. right before Christmas, and then again right before their birthdays. They pick out several items that they want to give to charity. Most years, I've tried to have us all drive together to a local charity, and give the items directly to the children/charity. A couple of times though right around the time Isaac came along, we had the charity come to us. :-) The first year we did this, it was difficult on us all. Many tears were shed! But Samuel's turning 8 next month and Avery's turning 6 on Saturday, and they just know now that this is something we do. BTW, Avery asked me last week, "If God never lived on Earth and never asked Jesus into his heart, then how did his soul find it's way to Heaven?" WOW!

    ReplyDelete