Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Boyling Point

If you haven't already heard, Susan Boyle didn't win Britain's got Talent.  Don't know who I'm talking about?  Then you've probably been hiding under a rock for several weeks.  Take a look here at the You Tube sensation that started Susan's meteoric rise to 2nd place overall in Britain's Got Talent (and 1st place in the hearts of millions).

Every time I watch this (or read an article, or see a news story...) I find myself equally thrilled, mystified and angry.

I first heard about Susan from a forwarded email.  The body of the email went something like this, "A MUST WATCH.  She is incredible!!  This is a good reminder not to judge people by their appearances!!"  I'll admit, I was a wee bit intrigued so I clicked the link.  I then watched a slightly odd, but spunky woman walk out onto stage as the fans and judges giggled and rolled their eyes.  Clearly nervous, Boyle stumbles over her answers and admits to wanting a career equal to British musical star Elaine Paige.  Then the music starts and that little Scottish gal belts out  a darn amazing rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Cameron Mackintosh's hit musical, Les Miserables.  

So, what is all the fuss about?  

It seems that millions of people are amazed that a short, plump, single, unemployed, 47 year old woman with overgrown eyebrows can sing.  And sing well.

Huh?

Can someone please tell me why we are so amazed at this?  Have we really become so shallow that the thought of an "unattractive" woman being talented is shocking?  A friend said to me, "If she was tall, skinny, and blonde nobody would be talking about her."  I agree wholeheartedly.  Does anyone besides me find this utterly disgusting?  

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hopes apart
And they turn your dream to shame

This woman couldn't have picked a better song.   I suspect Susan Boyle heard those lyrics in her head as she received rejection after rejection throughout her life.  I suspect some of us have sung them as well.

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed 
Before Susan Boyle walked on that stage, I'm certain there were times that she felt that "life" had killed her dreams.  In fact, she walked off the stage as soon as she finished her first performance.  It was almost like she knew those judges were going to reject her.  I sure am glad she decided to audition one more time, aren't  you?  It was a nice little reminder that those that make the decisions don't always get it right.

I did find the finals bittersweet, however.  Did you notice the subtle (or, not-so-subtle) changes?  Gone were the bushy eyebrows!  The gray hair?  Miraculously disappeared.  Apparently the tigers attacked in a different way this time.

As I begin to navigate the world of raising a female bear cub, these kinds of stories get my dander up.  "Beauty is only skin deep," or "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" wont hold muster when Sugar Bear meets the tigers.  And I'll admit I am terrified about it.  

There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting

This is what I hope for my bear cubs.  A world that is exciting and amazing.  A world that sees them for who they are, not what they look like.  A world with very few tigers and, hopefully, a lot more Susan Boyles.



2 comments:

  1. Preach on, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I had the same reaction. We actually were like, 'Hasn't anyone ever seen an opera singer before?' I mean, a beautiful voice and a beautiful face don't have to work together...in fact, they usually don't, right? God doesn't make the playing field even for all of us, but He does give ugly ducklings beautiful voices and sometimes allows pretty girls to just have their looks.
    We've all got something that the world needs, and I'm hoping that I and our little girls learn beautiful character more than anything.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete