Thursday, June 18, 2009

Crafty


I have a confession. I am not crafty. I can make a meal to serve 12, but I have absolutely no art skills. My drawings are still stick-bears and I can barely sew on a button. Mention the word "scrapbooking" and I go running for the hills.

My real problem is, I wish I was crafty. Therefore, I often find myself inspired to be crafty with my bear cubs, and then end up knee deep in craft. Literally.

Due to an extraordinary craft project our kindergarten bears are doing this week in Vacation Bible School (facilitated by an extremely crafty teacher bear), I found myself - yet again -inspired.

So, this afternoon, Brother Bear and I embarked on our first every paper mache project. He was very excited. He tore the newspaper strips while I made the glue paste. I was actually almost enjoying myself.

Then we started with the glue. After creating our "base" from balloons, we began the process of dipping and glueing the newspaper strips. Despite my best efforts to explain that "less is more", Brother Bear was covered in glue paste after mere seconds. I'm fairly certain that I'll be peeling glue off my arms for weeks. My distaste for crafts (and messiness) became more and more evident with each additional strip of paper. But, for Brother Bear's sake, I hung in there and we covered the whole thing.

Here's a picture of where we are so far:

Yeah.

It's becoming more clear to you that I really mean it when I say I'm not crafty, isn't it?

Any guesses as to what it is we are making?

Special prize for the person that posts a correct guess in the comments. (Please remember, this is a preschool craft, so keep it "G" folks!). I'll be amazed if any of you actually get it.

I'll post the answer with a picture of the finished project after we paint it. Which we can't do until the thing dries.

And judging by how much glue we slapped on it, that should be somewhere around October.

10 comments:

  1. My first thought is a turtle, but I'm sure that's too obvious. The big guy, however, took one look at it and said, "that is clearly a yeast cell budding." But that seems more up Big Sister Bear's alley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest contemporary art. Paint it however you want and display it as "a piece of art". It doesn't have to "be" anything! I recently saw a giant canvas painted blue and the title was "Blue with no title". It was in French so it sounded a little better than that, but that was the translation. If that gets into the modern art museum in Paris, this piece surely has a place in a home display! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...a summer squash? I am sure that no matter what the finished product looks like, BB will have enjoyed himself immensely. And good for you for getting messy. I confess that is the part of craftiness I least enjoy!!

    RAK

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very pregnant snake - Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a cement mixer truck to me... Although, now that Robin mentions it, it does kind of look like a summer squash too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From 1 non-crafty mom to another -- I think it's going to be a hot air balloon that a basket will be attached to at the bottom. Oh, and currently in the picture, I think the "bottom" is the small part to the right of the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a balloon. either that or a bowling pin that is "in a family way"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for some kind of bowling thing

    ReplyDelete